Environmental Health

Environmental Health Programs

Food Service/Retail Food Establishments
Our office licenses and inspects all businesses involved in retail food sales in Shelby County. These businesses include restaurants, groceries, schools, carry-outs, food booths at festivals, vending machines, food trailers, and retail stores. We investigate complaints and possible foodborne disease outbreaks. The Uniform Retail Ohio Food Safety Code is based on the FDA Model Food Code. This is continually updated to reflect changes in the Model Food Code.

Manufactured Home Parks
Manufactured home parks are licensed by the Ohio Department of Commerce and are inspected by this office. Inspections include proper spacing, possible nuisances, auxiliary buildings, sewage and water.

Nuisances are inspected upon receipt of a signed complaint. Nuisances may include garbage and refuse complaints, housing problems, air quality issues, insect and rodent infestations, lead abatement and sewage system failures. Orders are issued to attain compliance.

Ohio Smoke Free Workplace
Complaints are made to Ohio Department of Health. Investigations are made on all complaints. Warning letters are issued, if warranted, or a fine may be required for repeat offenders.

Private Water Systems
Private water systems are permitted and inspected by this office. Inspections include location, installation, and safety of the drinking water. Private water system contractors are evaluated for the state. Water samples are taken upon request to evaluate for bacteria, minerals, and possible contaminants.

Investigation is required on all reported animal bites. The owner of the animal is notified of quarantine requirements. A veterinarian must examine the animal after the quarantine to verify the animal’s good health and update its rabies vaccination. If the bite involves a wild or stray animal, the animal may be euthanized so it can be inspected by the Ohio Department of Health for rabies.

Campgrounds/Resident Camps
Campgrounds and resident camps are licensed and inspected by this office. Inspections include spacing, nuisances, swimming beaches and pools, living quarters, food services, sewage disposal, and potable water.

Public Swimming Pools
Public swimming pools and spas are licensed to operate and inspected by this office. Inspections include safe water parameters, safety equipment, filtering equipment, disinfection equipment, turnover rates, drains and signage. Public spas are also evaluated for water temperature.

Schools are inspected semi-annually. Inspections include playground equipment, lighting, water systems, sewage, building conditions, health and safety issues.

Sewage Treatment Systems
Household sewage treatment systems for 1, 2 and 3 family dwellings are permitted and inspected through this office. Inspections include location, type and installation of new, replacement and altered systems. New surveys are inspected and given approval as possible building sites. Sewage nuisances are investigated and corrected. Aeration sewage treatment systems are inspected annually to insure they are working correctly. Existing sewage treatment systems are also inspected for real estate transactions. Private sewage treatment system contractors are registered with this office to do work in Shelby County.

Solid Waste
The Shelby County Transfer Station is inspected quarterly. The closed landfill is inspected annually. Infectious waste inspections are done on a complaint basis. Tire storage sites are investigated and must comply with state mandates. Nuisance complaints are investigated and abated. Intent to use clean fill on a site must be registered with the health department and the site approved for this purpose.

Body Art Services Establishments
The health department approves body art services establishments. Inspections include equipment, site, sterilization equipment and methods, and required paperwork.

Development Departments/Personnel/Checklist/Flowchart
Environmental Program Fees

Township Trustees/Zoning Enforcement Officers

You can obtain a radon test kit by visiting www.ohio.radon.com

For more information on radon gas in your home, visit www.epa.gov/radon or call Kelli Steward with the Regional Air Pollution Control Agency at 937-225-4898