1. How do I get a birth certificate and how much does it cost?

Records are available dating back to December 1908. You can obtain a certified birth certificate here even if the person was born in another part of Ohio. The fee is $25. You can come into our office and get it, mail your request in to us, or you can order by phone and make payment with a credit card (convenience fee applies). A form is available on our vital statistics page. Fill out the form and mail it along with the required fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Sidney-Shelby County Health Department.  Please enclose a self addressed, stamped envelope.  Mail your request with payment to:

Sidney-Shelby County Health Department
202 West Polar Street
Sidney OH 45365

2. When are your immunization clinic hours and what are the fees for the vaccine?

Immunizations are by appointment only.  Appointments are scheduled Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between the hours of 8:30-11:00 a.m. and 12:30-2:30 p.m.
The current fees are available on our Immunization page. Influenza clinics will be announced, as they vary year to year.

3. We have bedbugs. What can I do to get rid of them and prevent getting them again?

Bedbugs can be hard to eradicate. It takes a concerted effort from both the tenant and the owner of a house or apartment to get rid of them. We have handouts in our office that you can come in and get. If you have Internet access, we recommend you go to  centralohiobedbugs.org and learn as much as you can about them. You can fill out a complaint if your landlord refuses to exterminate them. We will send information to you and the landlord on what must be done. The only sure way of exterminating them is to hire a licensed pest control operator with experience with bedbugs and follow his or her instructions!

4.   My child has lice. What do I need to do?

If your child was sent home by the school nurse, they must be treated with special shampoo, nits removed, and the child inspected by the nurse before returning to school. Prescriptions for shampoo can be obtained from our office if the child is brought in. Always call ahead of time to insure a nurse is available.

5. I have Chlamydia/Gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted infection [STI]).  Where do I go to get treatment?

Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) Clinics

It is always best to see your own physician (primary care provider), if that is not possible…

Allen County Health Department — 419-228-4457 — 219 E. Market St., Lima

STI clinic is available for males and females
Tuesday 9:00 am to 11:00 am (please call ahead)
Charge is on a sliding scale (no one is turned away)

Miami County Public Health — 937-573-3520 — (Hobart Building) 510 W. Water St., Troy

Family Planning Clinic (call for appointment)
STI Treatment (bring lab slip with you)
Walk-in — Monday, Tuesday and Friday 8:00 am to 3:30 pm

Public Health of Dayton/Montgomery County — 937-225-4550 —  (Riebold Building) 117 S. Main St., Dayton

Clinic is in lower level of the building
STI clinic is available for males and females
Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 10:30 am and 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm
By appointment only (please call)
Picture ID required
Fee may apply

Sidney-Shelby County Health Department — 937-498-7249 — 202 W. Poplar St., Sidney

HIV testing only
Call Allen County Public Health at 419-228-4457, Extension 131.  Ask for Cassie Hambleton.  A short telephone survey will be done to see if the client qualifies for free testing.